A 5 day Split Compound Workout program. Cater to target Muscular Strength, Endurance or Hypertrophy as you feel fit!
5 Day Split Workout Objectives:-
- Choose a personal goal: Muscular Endurance/Hypertrophy/Strength.
- There are low, medium and high reps and variances in weight dependent on goals (Endurance/Hypertrophy = more reps/less weight. Strength goals = fewer reps/more weight).
- 5 workouts weekly. 2 days of rest.
- 1 or 2 body regions trained during each workout.
- Several exercises per body part.
- Rest periods are dependant on goals (Endurance/Hypertrophy = little rest. Strength goals = longer rest periods).
- If training for Endurance of Hypertrophy, include some light cardio work at the end of each workout (optional).
- Cardio – 20-25 minutes of medium intensity – Endurance goals. 5-10 minutes – Hypertrophy goals.
The workouts below are predominantly Barbell compound exercises, with some dumbbell and other resistance methods thrown in as support. I have mostly avoided the use of gym machines with a few exceptions.
Work through the workouts in order. Look at training 5X per week using each workout once with 2X days rest at your discretion. With regards to the resistance that is dependent on your training goals, see below:
Muscular Strength Goals: High resistance 85-90% of 1 rep max. Low reps and sets: 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps. 3 minutes rest between sets.
Hypertrophy Goals: Medium resistance 70-80% of 1 rep max. Medium reps and sets: 2-4 sets of 10-12 reps. 2 minutes rest between sets.
Muscular Endurance Goals: Low resistance 60-70% of 1 rep max. High reps and sets: 3-5 sets of 12-20 reps. 1-minute rest between sets.
Circuit 1 – Legs and Abs
- Barbell Back Squat
- Front Squat
- Single-Leg Press
- Dumbbell Lunges
- Dumbbell Step-ups.
- Barbell Hack Squat.
- Hanging Knee raises.
- Abs Wheel Rollout.
- Hollow Rocks.
- Dumbbell Woodcutters.
Circuit 2 – Shoulders and Triceps
- Barbell Bench Press.
- Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press.
- Behind Neck Press
- Cuban Press (with Dumbbells).
- Triceps Dip (Parallel bars).
- Incline Dumbbell French Press.
- Barbell Shoulder Shrugs.
- Dumbbell Giant Set: a) Anterior Delt raises. b) Rear flys. c) Lat raises. d) Overhead Press.
- Barbell Military Press.
Circuit 3 – Back and Biceps
- Lat Pulldowns.
- Dumbbell Single Arm Rows.
- Bench Incline Dumbbell Curls
- Superset: a). Zottman Curls. b). Pronated Curls.
- Close grip pull-downs
- Dumbbell Hammer Curls.
- Weighted decline situps.
- Mountain Climbers
Circuit 4 – Chest and Triceps
- Incline Dumbell Press Drop (6 reps Heavy – 6 Reps Light).
- Various Incline Dumbbell Bench Presses (45 degrees x6reps, 30 degrees X6 reps, flat bench X6 reps).
- Incline Dumbbell Flyes.
- Superset: a). Narrow grip barbell press. b). Triceps Pushups.
- Superset: a) Triceps Dips (Parallel bar). b) Triceps overhead extension with dumbbells.
- Superset a) Incline pushups. b) Decline Pushups.
- Bench in and outs (abs).
- Planks with shoulder taps.
Circuit 5 – Legs and Abs
- Deadlift – 3X10 of 1 RPM
- Romanian Deadlifts
- Zercher Squats.
- Superset: a) Bulgarian Split Lunges. b) Dumbbell side lunges.
- Superset: a) Leg extenstions. b) Leg curls.
- Superset: a) Barbell Landmines squats. b) Barbell Landmine oblique twists.
- Weighted Decline Sit-ups.
Complete all the prescribed exercises with the required reps, sets and rest specific to your fitness goals. If using this circuit, use it for four-six weeks adding greater resistance each week to progress. After four to six weeks consider changing things up to avoid your training plateauing.